Old March 25th 05, 02:02 AM
CTR

HW, what Curt Weldon realized years ago is that the Commanche had
become a "Work-Fare" program for Boeing and Sikorsky. After 13 years
all the Army had to show for it's investment was two overweight
underpowered prototypes and a proposal for a block stage improvement
program. Six years ago when I was visiting Boeing in Philly, over
drinks some engineers confided in me that they never expected the
Commanche to go into production. They felt the program had become
means to develop technology (avionics, FBW controls, composites) for
future viable programs. The fact that the program went on as long as
it did surprised even them.

"The strength of American aerospace is in its workers -- not just the
Union guys on assembly lines, but the engineers, program managers, test

technicians, etc. That's why you don't want the design authority on
helicopters to reside offshore."

I agree with you fully. But in the case of the US101 and VH92, both
aircraft are already supposedly developed. All that is left is is
stuffing with the special avionics, EMI protection, counter measures,
etc. And this work was to remain in the US no matter who won.

Is the S-92 an excellent product? Yes. Was it smart to bring in Japan
as an international partner? Yes. China? Time well tell.