Old January 4th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

"pgbnh" wrote in message
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun.
But since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few
hundred miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

I always try. Most of the time I get it. Can't hurt to ask, what's the
worst that can happen, you're back on an airway?

Enjoy the 530.