Old May 13th 18, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Cameron

Default Better self rigging system

I'm sure someone has come up with a much more user friendly system for self rigging vs. what I'm currently doing. My new to me DG400 is in an older Minden trailer, which is tucked inside a T-hangar behind a Cessna 182(high wing). To get the DG out I first have to pull the 182 out, than roll the Minden out and begin the rigging process with an electric self rigger that came with the glider. I've recently been doing some work on the fuselage and without too much trouble am able to roll the fuse out onto my hangar floor in its cradle. I put the tail dolly on and move it around the hangar, making it convenient to work on without pulling it out of the trailer constantly.
I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to come up with a dolly system(jackable, so I can raise the fuse and get the gear down) that I can use for storing the DG in the hangar, yet roll outside(over rail tracks for hangar doors) and have in position for rigging. I picture the wings already out of the trailer in a bracket on the hangar floor, where I can just raise one end up to place in the self rigger, than roll the wing out and begin rigging to the fuselage.
Seems to me this would expedite the rigging process, however it might require finding another home for the Minden trailer should a better system be put in place.

Thanks guys,
Steve Cameron