Old July 13th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

Default Flexible exhaust tubing

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source of 1 1/2" flexible exhaust tubing. Mild steel is
acceptable. I want to use it for a model of the headers of a tuned
exhaust for my 0320 Lycoming engine that I have mounted in my Baby Belle
helicopter. The idea is to have 4 equal length pieces attached to exhaust
flanges bolted to the cylinders, arrange the 4 pieces to intercept the
4-into-1 collector, coat the tubing with epoxy resin so that the shape is
maintained and then present these pieces to be copied by the exhaust
bender.

Stu

Stu,

Why can't you model your headers with equal lengths of 1/4" steel brake line
tubing? It's easy to bend without kinking, and could be bent around simple
plywood templets to maintain the minimum radii of the larger tube. Just
route it to represent the center line of the 1 1/2" tubing, and maintain at
least 1 1/2" between tubes.