Old February 17th 04, 04:56 AM
David E. Powell

"Ron" wrote in message
OK, now this is really old information, but as a kid I recall reading
somewhere that the F-16 set a record for single-engine production

fighters,
with a top speed of Mach 2.32, and that this was (at the time I heard)

still
a record for single engine production fighters.

Is this true, or did it set a record when it first flew that was passed
later? I know that an F-16's top speed is lower, but....

I think F-104, 105, 106 would all be faster than an F-16...

I seriously doubt an F-16 ever having a speed record, it just was not

designed
with top speed in mind.
Boyds Fighter Mafia realized fighters rarely ever need to go that fast,

but
energy maneuvering was important though.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Thank you, sir. I mistyped, though - I believe the 106 had the 2.32 Mach
speed. F-16 I think is around 1.8 Mach. I read somewhere that the 106's
speed was the top one for a production single engine fighter. Sounds pretty
good, regardless.