Old August 31st 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Low pass

On Aug 31, 4:52*am, Bart wrote:
On Aug 30, 9:33*am, Andy wrote:

Gray area. Advisory Circular 91-48 uses both definitions.

Can you give me a para reference. All I see, under definitions, *is a
re-statement of the regs I quoted.

"...that exceeds:
(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or
(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the
horizon.”
b The above bank and pitch tolerances further define the differences
between an acrobatic and nonacrobatic maneuver."

For me, the FARs are clear and I agree with your interpretation. Also,
Advisory Circulars are non-regulatory. But ignore them at your own
peril.

While no doubt some pull-ups exceed 30 degrees (and that might be more
fun) there is absolutely no need to, and even 30 degrees looks pretty
steep from the ground and converts speed into height pretty quickly.

120 knots airspeed at 30 degrees nose up is 60 knots vertical speed
(6000 fpm!).

So, we have:

1) missed approaches are standard procedure and fall under the
definition of landing for the purposes of the flying lower than 500 ft
AGL rule.

2) pull ups of 30 degrees or less do not fall under aerobatic rules.

3) at mixed-use airfields there can be other aircraft that normally
approach at 120 - 130 knots on short final.

Hell, where I learned to fly in Traumahawks (PA-38) it was standard
practice to approach at 120 knots until crossing the threshold in
order to keep out of the way of the 737 that was right behind you.
That made for about 1000 m of float slowing down which was perfect for
turning off at the midpoint taxiway.