Old May 2nd 04, 09:59 PM
John Kunkel

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I posted this question in the "Fuel dip tube for Piper Warrior?" thread,

but
it seems to have gotten lost. Does anyone have dip tube data for the
straight-wing PA-28's, or are the fuel tanks the same as the taper-wing
versions? Thanks.

Pasted from the original thread:

Here's the data I used to make my dipstick (wood paint stirring stick) for
24 gallon tanks:

4= 0"
5= 1"
10= 2 1/4"
15= 4"
20= 5 3/4"
24= 7 1/4"

I use a smooth wooden dowel abut 1/4" diameter and fitted a soft
elastic tube over the the end to stop any chance of damaging the tank.
The top has a small string loop to ensure it's not dropped into the
tank (one of our group had the pleasure of removing and refitting a
tank after dropping a calibrated tube inside!). Calibration is with a
fine 'permanent' marker pen. Occasionally it needs re-marking but
works well.

Both tanks were calibrated by adding fuel, in increments, to our
PA28-161, Warrior II. There was a slight discrepancy between tanks but
not sufficient to cause any serious errors.

It's nice to see some similarity with the poster above. I use the
following which is from fuel added, measured then interpolated from
calibration in litres. It is not on a linear scale. Dipped with stick
approx. in middle of filler hole and on level ground:

Inches USG
============
8.0 24.7
7.0 23.5