Old October 3rd 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Burns Municipal Airport (KBNO) Runway 3-21 Markings

"RandyL" wrote in message
I have been using Google Earth to look at airports in my area of the
world, and I have run across something that I cannot figure out myself, so I
thought I would post this question here. I was looking at Burns Municipal
Airport ,Oregon (KBNO) at N43 35 25.77 W118 57 18.41 and noticed that
runway 3-21 is painted completely white. Even the runway numbers and
thresholds are painted over. I have never seen this type of runway marking
before. I tried doing a Google search on that airport, but haven't come up
with anything that indicates why this runway is painted like this. Usually
when an airport closes a runway, they paint a big "X" on the runway ends to
indicate that it is closed. Does anyone have any idea why they would paint
an entire runway white like this? Just curious...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...oogleEarth.jpg

Randy L.
--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

That is one of the strangest things I've seen on Google Earth. Since you
mention that it is an airport in your "area of the world" why don't you stop
by and see if it is really white and if it is ask who got the kick back from
the paint company?