Old May 1st 20, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Flarm picking up my transponder

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:22:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I both agree and disagree with Tom.

The TN72 is not ADS-B in a certificated ship, TABS only there.Â* If your
ship is Experimental, TN72 works just fine as ADS-B Out. Configuration
takes all of 10 minutes if you're slow, but you have to have all your
numbers at hand, e.g., length and width of your aircraft, antenna offset
(left/right) from the longitudinal axis and distance from the nose, and
airspeed range.Â* That's pretty much it.

I configured a system for my Experimental gyro plane kit which should be
delivered this week.Â* I set it up in the living room window which is in
view of an ADS-B tower.Â* As the gyro plane is an EAB aircraft, the TN72
is a legal ADS-B out system.Â* Oh, and I used a TA50 antenna.Â* It's about
half the size of a standard size puck antenna, works great, and costs
about a quarter or less than the gigantic antenna which is mounted
inside of the Stemme.

I have ADS-B (TT22 and TN70) in the Stemme and a PowerFlarm portable and
it works just great.Â* The only thing favoring Flarm in my opinion is the
trend analysis and collision alert capability which doesn't work with
ADS-B targets, only with Flarm targets.Â* My buddy has ADS-B only and I
constantly get alerts when we fly near each other even on parallel or
divergent paths.Â* BUT with the long range capability of ADS-B (I watched
a soaring friend over 26 miles away on my Flarm View display), there's
plenty of situational awareness and I find the collision alarms unnecessary.

On 4/27/2020 7:15 PM, 2G wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 3:39:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
No slight on you Dave, "to err is human, to truly 'F up' requires a computer".
So states a "beta boy" from my old company I worked for. I worked company field service, thus got beta releases....our job, bang on it and give good feedback to programmers for changes/fixes....level listened to was....meaningful feedback to programmers on issues beyond, "it don't work"....

Programmers do stuff, even good programmers don't see a conflict until later.....thus beta peeps...I know, my wife is a high level programmer (30+ years) with "wishy washy" requirements, followed by "beta testing" but never done....then release and the poop storm happens.
Sigh.....
Reading the confusion about Flarm, and comments I hear from users here at Minden, I recommend US glider pilots to put future money into adsb, not flarm.

ADS-B has not been widely adopted in the gliding community, whereas Flarm has. Personally, I have both, but I am the rare exception. If you do want ADS-B you will need to install a Mode-S transponder and certified GPS receiver (your flight computer will not do). I went with the Trig TT-22 and the TN-72 (the TT-21 will not suffice). Still, it took some time to properly setup the TT-22 to transmit the properly encoded messages.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J

Dan is correct: the TN72 can only be used in experimental-registered aircraft, which my ASH31 is. Another example of our bureaucrats having only our best interests at heart. Configuration is easy when you know exactly what to do.

Tom