Old October 1st 04, 11:42 AM
Kai Glaesner

Default Impulse Coupling on Magneto

Hello community,

I have a question I think some of you may be able answer: in most(?)
reciprocating engine installations, the left magneto seems to have a impulse
coupling, enabling the magneto to produce a spark strong enough for ignition
even at low (starter cranking) RPM's.

The question: does the coupling alter the ignition _timing_ (e.g. towards
late), too?

I hear this, sometimes, as the main reason why you should put the ignition
shift in the "L"eft position when handpropping the engine and, while doing
so, preventing the right (early igniting) magneto to kick back the prop.

Thanks in advance for the answer....

Best Regards

Kai