Old March 16th 04, 07:37 AM
Jack

On 3/15/04 6:15 AM, in article ,
"Ben Flewett" wrote:

...[Schumacher's and Barrichello's] 'Mine is bigger than yours' attitude
is ruining Formula One [and] John Coutts' (top ranked glider pilot in the

World)...has 'too much money and not enough character'.

As might easily have been anticipated, you have taken the egoist's approach
to my remarks concerning unwarranted criticisms of the PW-5 and of the World
Class concept. A F1 Ferrari is as unsuited to the Baja off-road race as an
ASW 27b is to the World Class. It would be irrational to think otherwise,
no?

If one chooses not to fly a PW-5 because the level of competition of which
one is capable requires a mount far more esoteric, then by all means choose
the more suitable ship. But that hardly justifies the near hatred expressed
here towards the PW-5. The PW-5 has its place. The fact that it has not been
universally adopted says more, I believe, about the psychology of the
sailplane enthusiast than it does about the capabilities of the aircraft.

Are you honestly suggesting that people should WANT
to sell their beautiful German sailplanes and buy PW5s?

I'm suggesting (and I wonder why you are not) that I couldn't care less what
aircraft someone chooses to fly, but only about how well they fly it, and
ultimately what I might learn from them (and about them) in the process.

Have you ever flown a glider?

Certainly, though not well enough and not often enough -- do you suppose
that is the glider's fault?

Jack