Old February 26th 04, 02:55 AM
Lyle

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:39:55 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. com...
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message

Why do we need three different versions of the F-35?

Because of differing operational requirments.

(snip)

The Air Force's F-35A is the least expensive version and it requires
F/A-22s to clear the way

Where did you get that strange idea?

so the Air Force needs runways anyway. Because
the Air Force always needs permission slips to operate they can't

assume
that their bases will be in the country next door so they need more
range than the F-35B offers.

Your blood sugar must be spiking again. The USMC wants the *STOVL*
capability (what the heck is "S/VTOL"?) to allow them to both provide

air
support from vessels other than CVN's (thus improving their versatility

as a
force) and to allow them to establish air operations from ashore without
having to seize intact or build a complete airstrip--kind of

understandable
given their expeditionary nature.

Actually the AF is talking about putting some of their buy into the
-B model because they want the short take-off capability for places
like Afghanistan. Jumper announced this in the latest AF Times.

sounds like they want to use the B version to replace the A-10

Yep. I read the release after I wrote the above.

Brooks