Old March 7th 04, 07:12 AM
George Z. Bush

Joe Osman wrote:
George Z. Bush wrote:
Joe Osman wrote:

Bob McKellar wrote:

More seriously, Dole was a 2lt on the front lines with the
10th Mountain Division (presumably infantry branch) when he was wounded
trying to pull his wounded radioman to safety. IIRC from a speech he
gave, he almost died three times (on the battlefield, and two different
times after surgeries stateside). Got a Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts
for his efforts.
ISTR he once quipped about how he got assigned to the 10th Mountain
Division -- "I'm from Kansas, and this was the army..."

A distinguished and witty gentlemen, without a doubt.

They sent him all casts and bandages on a troop train back to Kansas and
when his family went on the train to get him they found that the rest of
the soldiers had been using him as an ashtray.

I guess I misplaced my sense of humor. I may not be a Republican, but we
were in the same convoy going to Italy in December 1944, and he deserves
better than to have jokes made about the wounds he sustained for his nation.

George Z.

Joe

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be funny. It's the story he told an
interviewer during his presidential campaign after the interviewer asked
him if his WWII record would be meaningful to the current generation. I
guess his point was that it wasn't meaningful to some of his own
generation. He never asked for any special treatment because he was a
wounded veteran, he just went back to his life as best he could.

Joe

Point taken.....thanks.

George Z.