Old May 23rd 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Durango, CO

After the Std. Class Nats in 2007, I dropped off my ASW 24 with Bif Huss in Colorado Springs and picked up my family in Denver. We spent the next 3 weeks doing a giant loop of National Parks and state parks, tent camping out of my soaring van every night with our 11-year-old twin daughters. Glorious trip, one of the highlights of which was overnighting at a campground in Durango. We hit the state fair that night and my daughters got to see their first tractor pull, among many other sights.

The next morning, we heard the steam locomotive coming and crawled out of the tent to watch it go by less than 50m away. The track went right through the campground. Later that morning as we were leaving for Ouray, one of the girls spotted a glider on tow. Sorry to hear the operation is no more. I didn't fly there but the area is spectacular.

Chip Bearden