Old May 28th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Default Durango, CO

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 10:46:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Val air GliderPort was was one of the great soaring sites of America. A number of us local pilots put together a consortium to purchase and run the site, but the offer, which was very carefully worked out, and fair, was rejected by the owners. A number of out of state offers were also rejected. We'll never know why. The site was lost, but certainly not because no one tried buy it and keep it going. This was a great loss to both the soaring community and the local tourist economy.

I spent 15 summers flying out of that gorgeous green strip, logging several thousand hours of looking down from 17,000' at the stupendous colorful San Juan Mountains and surrounding areas. Handily, I accumulated thousands of digital photos to help remember the fun times. I even shared a number of them in presentations at SSA annual meetings and with many other organizations in SW Colorado and Arizona. Lots of great memories.

19