Old January 4th 06, 06:43 PM
gunnysarge gunnysarge is offline
Junior Member

Default f-104 vs Migs

I am looking for info on how effective the f-104 was or would have been against the migs of the time. At least one account exists of f-104 shootdown near hainan by mig 19. Anyone have decent info in encounters such as 1958 Taiwan standoff, 1962 Cuban crisis, Berlin 1961, or others. A couple of sources including a book called "operation Anadyr" written about soviet generals perspective on cuban crisis suggest that 2 f104s were outclassed in a low altitude interception by mig21--but I wonder ifit was really a f104. the encounter sounds similar to a reported chase of vfp-62 rf-8s described in US accounts.

jr martin