View Single Post
Old January 15th 13, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider?

On Monday, January 14, 2013 4:07:15 PM UTC-8, K_Miller wrote:
I am interested in learning if other soaring clubs have a Janus 2-seat glider in their fleet, which model they have, its suitability as a club ship and whether they would recommend one to a club that was looking for a 2-seat cross country trainer. If you have other personal experience in the Janus, your opinion would be appreciated.

I am co-owner of a Janus C fixed gear. I can't comment on it's suitability as a club glider, but I have some experience rigging and flying one. I have only a Grob 103 to compare with, so any comments will be relative to that glider.
1. Rigs and derigs more easily than the Grob, but those big wings are pretty heavy! Rigging aids make quick work of attaching wings.
2. Slightly easier to fly well despite having long heavy wings.
3. Very wide pilot weight rangee
4. Very good performance.
5. Odd, almost spooky in a full rudder slip. Will happily remain in a full lock slip if you take your feet off the pedals. Takes significant force on the pedals to get the rudder off the stop once locked over.
6. Head room somewhat limited in the front seat, leg room quite limited in the back seat, and the (rear seat) pedals are not adjustable. Front pilot has no GOOD place to put water. Rear pilot has a LOT of space available for water and snacks.