Old January 11th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Short cuts

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 8:05:22 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
yes the 1-26 rules still allow a pilot to re attempt the task after a trailer retrieve. I know that Team Vihlen did this at the rained out championships in Caesar Creek that I attended. I highly doubt it is very commonly practiced.

Aside from the rule, another reason that practice isn't viable here in the U.S. is the prevalence of crewless pilots at contests. It's one thing to get your family or a really good friend out on the road on iffy days just in case you need a quick retrieve. That's a non-starter without a crew.

And, yeah, I've heard the 1-26 "retrieve by autotow" story--no doubt enhanced in the retelling--a few times myself.

Chip Bearden