Old July 29th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

Default Lost Comm

"Gulfside" wrote in message
g.com...
Flying IMC into Atlanta area (RYY) on the Turbow Eight Arrival, past TRBOW
heading for PUMIF, line of convective activity just NW of PUMIF. The comms
are becoming intermittent with intermittent communications. ATC issues
heading change and new altitude just prior to convective activity (as
expected) and assigns a 360 heading (again to miss some activity). After
acknowledging the new info the comms failed, I'm fumbling around with aux
mic., radar, Nexrad, etc... The end of convection was clearly on radar
(on board and NEXRAD), as well as being confirmed by ATIS from PDK and
RYY. Rather than squawking 7600 I flew assigned heading with a minor zig
to avoid a cell, then was VFR in about 3 / 4 minutes; squawked VFR and
headed for home below ATL airspace. My reasoning for not squawking 7600
was two fold; 1) Didn't want to upset traffic coming into ATL on a busy
day with limited corridors, 2) Could see end to situation in short
amount of time. What are your thoughts?

Chances are you upset them a lot more by NOT squawking 7600.