Old July 3rd 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,soc.history.what-if,alt.news-media
mike Williamson

Default Israel Threatens to Hit Damascus-Next step of A Clean Break?:

Matt Giwer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

As to wearing civilian clothing if camoflague uniforms are ever
outlawed it will have everyone back in brightly colored uniforms. I do
not see how clothing that helps one blend in can be held unlawful even
if it is civilian clothing. In fact that was my first thought when I saw
the KLA bandanas, that they should have picked black.

Camouflage is still a distinctive uniform. The purpose of a uniform
is to distinguish you from non-combatants, not to make you easily
visible. Hiding among trees, shrubs, and weeds is legal. Hiding
among civilians is not. Your declaration that you can't see a
difference (if true) is a statement about your mental process, not
about camouflage.

The usual is a ninja style "sweatband" of a distinctive color or
pattern. Hamas is pure green and Fatah is green with yellow lettering
I think. Next time you see films take a look.

Should make them easy to spot at checkpoints when they try to
smuggle their
bombs through. Or do they only wear them when it's convienient to do
so for
propaganda purposes?

I have no idea. You will have to inquire of Israel to get copies of
the incident reports. All I know is what I see. If the uniform of the
day is a red poppy in the lapel I don't see how to complain.

Again, uniform "of the day" intended to prevent the enemy from
distinguishing you from the civilian population is (and was always
intended to be) illegal under the treaties cited. Since self defence
is always allowed troops, mandating a uniform that can not be
distinguished from civilian attire requires troops to consider
all civilians to be either potential or actual combatants, and
act accordingly.

Mike W.