Old September 23rd 05, 04:25 AM
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

If I understand the question, the helicopter decreases it's lift by reducing
pitch, which was balancing the weight, and a net force downward is created.
This force is opposed by the drag created by the downward velocity and a
steady state is achieved in essence, still flying, and still in a balanced
condition, but the lift force is now less than the weight. At a certain
downward velocity, you can get a Vortex Ring State created and increase your
downward velocity remarkably.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"D. Andrews" wrote in message
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here, but I figured maybe you all could
help me out with a question that has been nagging at me for quite a
while. Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question.

Here goes:

Does a helicopter, without lateral movement, have the ability to fly
down, or does it merely stop holding itself up?

I don't know if that makes sense, but I don't know of a better way to
word the question. I would be happy to clarify if necessary, but i
don't know what to add.