Old September 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Beav

"D. Andrews" wrote in message
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here, but I figured maybe you all could help
me out with a question that has been nagging at me for quite a while.
Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question.

Here goes:

Does a helicopter, without lateral movement, have the ability to fly down,
or does it merely stop holding itself up?

I don't know if that makes sense, but I don't know of a better way to word
the question. I would be happy to clarify if necessary, but i don't know
what to add.

I'm not sure what the question IS exactly, but let me see if I can try to
understand it.

Does a helicopter "fly" down or merely stop holding itself up?

Well if the pitch of the blades is reduced beyond the point where the blades
provide less lift than required to hold the helicopter in the air (and it's
not travelling in any direction giving translational lift), then the heli
will descend.

This isn't exactly "flying down", it's more "not being held up" as
efficiently as it was. The amount of "hold" varies with the pitch of the
blades and the power from the engine. More of both and the heli rises, less
of both and it descends. Just enough of both and it sits at a given height.
(in simple terms of course)

--
Beav

Reply to "beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com" (with the obvious
changes)