Old August 6th 15, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 6:06:42 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
I wonder how the stealth mode advocates would feel about a compromise: You can see gliders at any range, with relative altitude, but no climb information.

The anti-stealth sentiment (mine, I must admit) wants more situational awareness than stealth allows; we don't want to find out about other gliders barreling down a cloudstreet the other way at less than a mile, when a collision is imminent.

What I hear from stealth advocates seems to be that seeing actual climb rates is the biggest objection. Knowing gliders are out there at greater distances seems not to be too big a deal.

Compromise?

John Cochrane BB

My idea of compromise is anything that provides awareness of imminent collision while providing no useful tactical information.
If you can see gliders ahead, you know where they think or know the lift is and you can chase them. Adding climb rate and altitude only makes it more useful, attractive and compelling in use.
I flew in Stealth at Mifflin and found it completely satisfactory dealing with oncoming traffic in the ridge(closing speeds 200+).
UH