Old August 6th 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

By not having any useful or interesting targets to look at on the screen I found my eyes were outside more often. I must admit I look out and up at clouds rather than out and on the horizon, scanning for traffic. Here I found FLARM very useful. When an audible alert went off I was able to go right to it rather than refocus at a new distance.

As for the competitive aspects, the reason I find competitions interesting is to see how my soaring skills stack up against other pilots. By that I mean which human can best fly like a bird.

Yes, the top guy often would be the same but I think the full use of FLARM as a tactical instrument would not yield a valid result through the middle of the score sheet.

XC