Old June 2nd 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADSB out in tow planes

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 6:59:10 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
What is Flarm Inc guidance on Flarm-ADSB glider-towplane interoperability? Trying to determine the true repeatable behavior of Flarm and ADSB based on a few experiments is back-assward.

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 1:31:39 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
... it would be great if somebody could experiment with a PowerFLARM portable in the towplane to see if it indeed does solve the issue.

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 8:53:41 AM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
You might want to try putting the towplane ICAO ID on FlarmNet and, after the update is available, installing the updated FlarmNet file on the display devices.

Possibly the PowerFLARM will then process the ADS-B return as a towplane. No guarantees, but it may be worth a try and the rest of us would like to know.

Again, this has all been discussed here in the past. It's FLARM's own comment to somebody experiencing this issue that a PowerFLARM in the towplane should prevent this. Doing a test to confirm you get the benefit that FLARM state seems a very good idea.

I don't expect t putting the towplane into FLARMnet will make a difference for this problem. FLARMnet is about displaying labels for targets, I don't believe that information is used to suppress an alert... but that gets into the behavior of the third party FLARM display, so who knows for sure. So yes, given all the combinations of displays etc. I absolutely would be doing some quick experiments here. And having the towplane in FLARMnet listing it's ICAO ID even if it does not have a PowerFLARM so that other aircraft with a PowerFLARM see a better label for it is nice idea.