Old February 20th 11, 12:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF[_5_]

Default Show us your Desktop !

"Jens Averbeck" wrote in message
On 18.02.2011 23:07, Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF wrote:
Here's my desktop
Sorry that there's no aircraft, I like it clean and 'relatively' uncluttered.
And yes, I still run WinXP Pro, I have tried the other (later) MS 'Operating
Systems' (and I use that term loosely) and hated them.
My next OS will probably be Linux but the GUI will be optional.

Hi Jeff,

when you want to switch to Linux you should take a look at Mandriva Linux (theres
a Live-CD named Mandriva Linux One, has also a Installer to make a bootable
USB-Memory Stick). The "draktools" (Menubased Configuration for Graphic-Card,
Sound, Printer, Fax, Firewall, FTP-Server etc) are really comfortable and easy to
understand. The Hardware-Recognition is slightly better than the HW-Recognition
of Ubuntu.

Downside is that the Packages (Programms, Libs etc) arent always the newest, but
therefore really stable and reliable.

As News-Reader for Mass-Download Binary Newsgroups i highly recommend "Pan" which
handles Multipart-Binaries and yenc Files, and for writing to Newsgroups
Thunderbird mainly because i dont like the writing Editor in Pan

The GUI (KDE4, Gnome etc) should suit your Hardware, on an old AMD Athlon 2Ghz i
wouldnt recommend KDE4 or Gnome but LXDE or if you want a lightweight but highly
stylish Desktop "Enlightment" (E17).

Regards
Jens

Thanks Jens,