Old February 23rd 05, 06:29 PM
George Patterson

" wrote:

I am a member of a 3-way partnership in a Cessna 206. We have just
purchased a SureFire preheater.

I have something similar. Mine's battery powered.

We have belted the preheater into one of the rear seats as we felt this
would be more secure. The propane bottles have been placed in the rear
baggage compartment.

I stored mine, bottles and all, in my luggage compartment when I had to carry
it.

One of my partners is concerned that carrying either flammable bottles
or even just the preheater in the plane might cause insurance issues if
there were ever an incident.

Read your policy. Mine did not contain any clause forbidding this practice.

Has anyone had any experience with these setups? Do you know the FARs
for carrying a preheater? What about the fuel?

The FARs contain nothing about carrying pre-heaters. There are prohibitions on
carrying flammables in the cabin, but they apply only to part 121 aircraft.

This topic was hashed out last year just before Oshkosh, so you might Google for
that discussion. Thousands of people carry propane stoves for camping, and that
kicked off that thread.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.