Old July 27th 03, 09:22 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Greg Esres wrote:
Had the student been trained specifically about porpoising?

Not likely. Who is, unless it's encountered accidentally during
pre-solo training?

Um, well, I was. Porpoising was described, including what
causes it, how to avoid it, and what to do if it is encountered.

My feeling is that porpoising is unlikely with a student who is
trained to give a near-stall landing.

True. Provided they don't f*** up

In that past 6 years that I've been flying at this club, we've lost 5
airplanes due to landing accidents, 3 of which were solo students.
Another 172R was badly damaged during a solo student touch and go,
which ended touch and go's for students.

Greg, I don't know, but this seems very high to me.

Perhaps pre-solo instruction and procedures at your club are
over-due for review?

Cheers,
Sydney