Old April 6th 05, 04:49 PM
Roy Smith

Does anyone consider it somewhat dangerous that at your alternate
airport, the weather can be forecast to be as low as your alternate
minimums? Seems the potential for problems.

There are lots of stupidities in the alternate rules. For example,
there's no requirement that your alternate "make sense".

Around here, BDR and HVN are about 10 miles apart, both right on the
edge of the water. What's happening at one weather-wise is pretty
much guaranteed to be happening at the other. Yet, it's perfectly
legal for me to file IFR to one and use the other as my alternate.
Legal, but pointless.

When I'm picking an alternate, my goal is to find someplace that I'm
damned sure I can get into if my destination goes down. That implies
a much more conservative approach than just meeting the letter of the
law.