Old November 30th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Check your gas.

"george" wrote in message
On Dec 1, 11:59 am, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

a piece of dowelling!
I used a dip stick to measure the amount of fuel -every- time I went
flying.

Didn't work for the Gimli Glider!