Old December 21st 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Relieving in flight

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 12:45:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 10:35:13 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
My solution: External catheter. Use a little bit of talcum powder on the ... sensitive area.. first, so it comes off more easily. Connect to last year's camelback bladder, which goes down near your legs. This has two liters of capacity, way more than hospital urine bags. It's hands off, it's simple, no littering the countryside or bags caught on the leading edge, no pee - rust damage on the glider.

John Cochrane

Pee'd into uninary leg bags for a long time, now over-board line ending at the edge of a gear door (you see me lowering my gear, better run). Had to empty a very full cold leg bag through the window at Parowan at altitude once. The pee froze immediately against the outside of the canopy, not pretty.
Herb

Location of the dump point at the aft end of the gear door seems like it should work well.
It has 3 important shortcomings.
1- Urine does get into the landing gear box and rudder hinge area with this method. Anybody who has worked on gliders much has seen rusted landing gear parts as a result of this. I had to cut the rudder horn fairing off one glider to get at the lower hinge bolt due to rust.
2- Freezing. The long length and path can lead to freezing, especially at low points.
3- Cleaning. It is hard to clean out well.
The probe out the belly solution avoids these issues.
Another opinion.
UH