Old May 1st 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7:59:26 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
When I installed Power Flarm (PF) in 2013, I had no idea whether it would ever 'save my butt'. Not many people have it in my area.......

Regarding Flarms and Transponders, I find it odd that my glider insurance isn't reduced when one of these is installed. I assume the insurance companies believe neither produces a significant reduction in accidents. However the worry of collisions, however remote, induced me to install something.

The hassle/cost/space/power/antenna considerations of fitting either system caused me to consider which (Transponder or Flarm) would be the best choice. My decision was to get a Trig 22 and not a Flarm. I also easily generated SIL=0 ADSB-out using one of my two existing onboard (uncertified) GPSs (I am experimental). I could move to SIL=3, but right now see not much added protection, and feel the price of a certified gps is a gouge.

My reasoning was that a transponder gave me better protection than Flarm from commercial power traffic, which seems the most catastrophic risk. I will be visible 'for free' to gliders with Flarm, which will see my transponder, and maybe my SIL=0 ADSB-out too.

I'm now looking for a low-cost ADSB receiver and traffic display, to be able to see all transponder traffic myself. Regrettably, I don't believe that will enable me to see Flarm-only traffic, but they will continue to be able to see my transponder.

Would anyone disagree that a Transponder is now a better choice than Flarm in the USA?