Old September 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

Default Reducer (thinners)

In article . com,
"am" wrote:

I am painting an aircraft using Randolph butyrate dopes. The thinners
(reducer) is on a long back order in the UK. Is there any other
thinners, available in the UK that I could use?

You can clean your equipment with regular lacquer thinner, but need
butyrate thinner to thin the dope.

Butyl alcohol, IIRC, is the primary ingredient in retarder, though. In
moist climes, you really do need to use retarder, to get rid of blush.

I have had success with spraying pure retarder on freshly-blushed
surfaces, as it absorbs and brings to the surface the entrapped moisture.