Old December 16th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Actual Time in Sacramento

On 15 Dec 2005 22:35:35 -0800, Robert M. Gary wrote:

Sometimes it can be distracting. My first IFR approach was into MRY
with ceilings at 800. I broke out, started looking for the airport and
flew right through the LOC looking for the airport. Lesson, learned.
Keep flying the ILS until you see the runway.

What happened to me, was that I had to apply a 40 degree correction to the
right account for 40 knot winds quartering headwinds, and I broke out
looking for the airport and found it 40 degrees off my nose to the left,
Totally confused me at first as first instinct when breaking out is to see
it off the nose.

Luckily, I kept flying the ILS as you advised above til I got myself
visually oriented.

Strange sensation to put all our faith into the instruments, and break out
and no airport off the nose of the plane..... It was at my 10:00.

Allen