Old March 22nd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

Rich wrote:

I usually try to legitimize my call (a bit) by asking for the altimeter
setting. Makes it seem like I'm busy "tending shop".

Rich

Providence approach has a sense of humor at times. One time I was
heading towards their airspace with my sister and her kid. The approach
frequency was pretty quiet at the time. Called for and received a
squawk, put it in, got identified and then a minute later got called
again "grumman 12345 is radar ah, disregard" so I replied "345 is glad
to be still in radar contact" he replied "345 gives you warm and fuzzy
feelings?" "affirmative 345" and that was the end of the conversation.
My sister however was impressed that not only did PVD approach let us
through their airspace but also made sure we had "warm and fuzzy
feelings" as well.

I guess something to break up the monotony is a welcome change for them
once in a while.

Robert