Old May 31st 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wit Wisniewski

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Folks, please don't confuse PowerFlarm with Flarm.

In my opinion, Flarm should have been chosen as a universal system for worldwide collision avoidance between all aircraft over ADSB-out/in. It wasn't, and Flarm is banned in the US. PowerFlarm is a very low transmit power attempt at salvaging some Flarm capability.

I see many local XC pilots contemplating or already installing ADSB-out to promote safety with respect to non-glider traffic. (Only one of my many close calls was with another glider) With limited money, battery power, and panel space, and with only a minority of gliders/towplanes equipped, I expect PowerFlarm to go extinct.

Your technology may also be a preferred alternative to SPOT and other locator services.

Ben,
Thank you for your effort!!!
Solving the cost, power, and panel space problem in one system is what we need. My wishes/requests for your development a

- Consider adding input from Stratux. Stratux is a $100 1090 and 978 MHz receiver that collects direct ADSB-out, UAT-out, rebroadcast TIS-b, weather, and NOTAM data from aircraft and ground towers, and puts it in a serial stream on a WiFi port. I use it with Avare, an open source EFB/navigation app. Parsing the stream for aircraft positions to be displayed on your map should be relatively easy.

- Adding mesh relay capability with fixed or mobile ground stations to close the gap between gliders too far apart. Internet connected mesh nodes would be desirable where there aren't enough airborne nodes to complete the mesh. I would love to see our club run a ground network for real-time tracking of all gliders in the area. This would give peace of mind to ground crews, knowing who may be landing out and where. Such a network may also save lives by giving a head start on search and rescue by providing undelayed info regarding where a glider went down. (Most gliders don't carry an ELT.)

- Adding internet map server capability to the above mentioned mesh for the piece of mind of airport crews, XC crews, spouses, friends, etc...

Thank you so much,
Wit