Old March 15th 05, 04:42 AM
Mark James Boyd

I've heard of a very experienced glider pilot
made an off-field landing during a local instructional flight
for the very same (wind) reason.

One thing you all seem to have missed is that in the past
5 years of the several dozen fatal glider accidents, not a SINGLE one
was a student pilot. In my opinion, the
recent trainees are the MOST careful, because they have
less complacency.

The glider pilots I know who are recent ratings exercise
quite good and conservative judgement. I would expect the poster
to get his commercial glider rating, and then only use the
commercial privileges quite responsibly.

In article ,
Tony Verhulst wrote:
Nyal Williams wrote:

I have had a conversation with just such a transition
pilot who did all his transition flying in the summer.
When the Fall winds came he drifted off downwind and
was shocked at the difficulty in getting back. You
can say poor training; I wouldn't disagree, but I would
also say lack of experience.

Thank you. Yes, a glider rating in your pocket does not necessarily make
you a glider pilot. I have found that by the time a transitioning pilot
meets the Practical Test Standard, quite often they don't *think* like a
glider pilot yet. Your example is a case in point, IMHO. A few years
ago, here in the north east US, a highly experienced power pilot and
newly minted glider instructor, experienced an off field landing during
a local instructional flight. The cause was attributed to the topic at hand.

Tony V.

--

Mark J. Boyd