Old April 6th 04, 10:33 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Felger Carbon" wrote in message
link.net...
"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , John

Cook
wrote:

Just the official reports!!, Lockheed has only purchased

enough
processors for 155 F-22's because there out of production, the

demand
for Air to ground operations has increased the demand on

processing
power, something the original processors are not quite upto

hence the
_need_ for the 'upgrade'.

So the processors are obsolete, (too old)... the Avionic

architecture
needs to be replaced before the F-22 can become the F/A-22

because the
present system is based on the old processors and rewriting

the code
is pointless on an obsolete system, that would only support

half of
the F-22 fleet

Methinks there's some confusion there between processors,

avionics
architecture, and software.
While it's true that Intel tried to shut down i960 production

causing a
chinese fire drill, there are enough assets to get by until a

new processor is
ready.

Full disclosu I'm a retired electrical engineer. I

specialized in
high-end embedded microprocessors, which the "i960" in the F-22

is. I
know nothing about designing aircraft. I do know a little about

the
Intel processor at the heart of the F-22:

The i960MX was designed by Intel specifically and solely for the

F-22.

Nope, the i960 is a processor designed to control printers.

There were several flavors of the i960, most of which were purely
commercial and were used as printer drivers among other things.

The i960 is the follow on of the i860, from which Intel produced the

i432
MPP. The i432 was such a failure that Intel was nearly bankrupt and was
forced to sell a controlling interest of 16% of Intel to IBM; it was

through
this transaction that IBM was able to corner the 8088 market. The i960
found application as a printer processor in the commercial world until

some
years ago. Lockmart got the bright idea of using the i960 to replicate
Intel's i432 MPP success in the Raptor.

snip of Harry making things up

Well John, I was there. Funny, I didn't see you name listed on the IPT.
Mine was.

I am pleased to be missing from that list.

All this i860 & 432 stuff is just smoke that has no bearing on the

decision
to use the i960. Lockheed had no say, BTW, in the i960 decision.

I'd say that it is a demonsable error in judgement for Hughes to fail to
consider Intel's failure WRT the i432 when estimating the risk induced by
their poor decision making in selecting the i960.

That
was an internal Hughes decision and we had a lot of selling to do with
our customer. The stuff you snipped has the real reason for the
selection of the MX over the competition. I was there.

You here claiming that you somehow determined that Hughes could do what
Intel could not shows that you have not come to terms with the dimensions of
your error, Harry. To come here now and claim the problems are a result of
your personal incompetence is hardly comforting to the American tax payer.