Old August 19th 03, 03:23 AM
Robert Henry

"Chip Jones" wrote in message

Given this traffic scenario, would any of you guys have followed my
suggestion to turn to a 180 heading, or was I wasting my breath?

Chip, ZTL

It reminds me of the scene in the Hunt for Red October where Jack Ryan has
to choose between steering the sub into the torpedo or away from the
torpedo. As such, I think the pilot feared a head on; a 70 degree turn is
about a mile in a cruising Baron. The Baron also guessed that he could
descend away from the climbing aircraft as reported - guessing (correctly
fortunately) that the interloper would not descend back out of the weather.
(a 400 ft altitude change following a 6 second turn should be considered
deliberate, imho.)

Based solely upon the vectors you listed, I also think the course he chose
(~20 left) put the aircraft closer to the destination instead of further
away, which may have also been a factor in his decision-making process.

Maybe a left 360 would have done the trick more comfortably for everyone? I
was recently "spun" in VMC about 3 miles from a VOR at 7000 in an SR22 with
no traffic reported -although I presumed that was the problem- which is what
made me think of it. It's puts the plane right back where it started, just
two minutes later.

While we hope never to be faced with an unverified target in IMC, please
make the suggestion that best resolves the conflict from your viewpoint.

--

Bob
PP-ASEL-IA, A/IGI