Old July 8th 04, 07:01 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:23:13 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

How do I respond to that without sounding like a complete ass? (don't
answer that question!). I guess if I can hang my hat on something,
it's being a half-way-decent sheet metal man.

Just recently, I helped a good buddy do new fuel cells on a '57 C-180.
We pulled the wings and drilled off the (inboard) butt-ribs.
I am at a loss as to how folks can accomplish this task without
pulling the wings.... (i.e, remove the old fuel cells and offer the
new fuel cells down into the wing bays through that 10 inch diameter,
or whatever it is fuel filler hole in the top of the wings). Not to
mention getting all the clips/hangars snapped (that was tough enough
with the wings pulled). Anyway, they are far better wrenches, and far
more patient then I am....

I guess in simple terms, via my long-term project I've been working on
for the last 8+ years, drilling scores of rivets out, removing skin
panels and riveting newly fabricated ones back on has become my
"briar patch".

Bela P. Havasreti

Bela...

You are probably ten times the sheet metal man than I am. I limit my expertise
to paperwork, inspection, and avionics (not necessarily in that order).

However, if you can do a Cessna seat rail, with real buck-em rivets and not the
approved bolts, inside of two hours, then I will bring my airplane to YOU when
the next rail needs replacing.

I helped the IA that knew what he was doing on the last pass, and the only thing
I want to do less next time is put the fuel cells in (and don't get me started
on THAT bloody trail).

Hey, Berle, stick around. We all take turns getting our ass nailed to the floor
{;-)

Jim

Bela P. Havasreti

-
-I suppose everything is relative.... I've had the entire floors
-drilled off (front & rear) in under an hour. Makes seat track
-replacement easy grins and you can also take the opportunity
-to clean the inner belly of all that crap that has accumulated there
-over the years.
-
-You need the right bucking bars to get at all the rivets (might have
-to make/modify one or two).
-
-I agree the average owner may not want to tackle this.... (under
-the supervision of an A&P/IA, of course). I only wanted to mention
-that (at least in my opinion), it ain't that big a deal....
-
-snip
-
-Adieu, newsgroups, now I remember why I left in the first place.
-
-Bill
-
-Stick around. Every now & then we get our feathers ruffled
-(been there myself). In the grand scheme of things (the meaning
-of life, etc.), it's no big deal....
-
-Bela P. Havasreti

http://www.rst-engr.com