Old February 12th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:55:41 +0000, Michael Opitz wrote:

If your ASW-19 doesn't have the 2 stage dive brake mod, get it done. If
it already has it, you should have seen what it was like before. I had
one for 5 years from 1978 - 1983.

I've never seen one without the double brake plate mod, let alone flown
one. How do the original brakes compare with a Std Libelle?

I had been going to say that, though I'd been warned about Libelle brakes
before I ever flew one, I initially found them to be a bit weak but not
terrible. then again, post solo I spent a year flying SZD Juniors (up to
Silver) and then another two years in a Pegase90 (both club gliders)
before I first flew a Libelle and a PW-5. Neither were problematic,
though I much preferred the Libelle.