Old March 17th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ADS-B, Not Soaring Related, But...

I was flying my Skywagon up to Santa Fe yesterday to practice instrument
approaches and there was a Centurion departing SAF.Â* The weather was
VMC, the tower was calling each of out to the other, and we were both
ADS-B equipped.Â* He was at 10,500' and the 12 mile arc around the VORTAC
required an altitude at or above 10,400' MSL.Â* We were on a collision
course with 100' vertical separation.

My system, a GTX-345, showed the conflicting aircraft in yellow, vs
white, and gave me a verbal warning at 3 o'clock, 1-2 miles, level. He
was slightly above and blocked by my wing but, by descending a couple
hundred feet (again, we were in VMC and I could see the mountain) we
passed safely.Â* Had I not had the equipment and descended, the results
would have been quite different unless he had seen me and maneuvered to
avoid a collision.Â* Money well spent!
--
Dan, 5J