Old March 30th 04, 10:44 AM
T-Boy

In article , says...

It's 10pm. It's 6 degrees outside. I decide to go flying. I fly an Cessna
150.

The engine has a Tanis preheater. During the pre-flight I notice that the
engine block feel reasonably warm. Everything else looks good.

I prime 3 or 5 shots and crank the engine. No joy. I let it crank for a
reasonable time to clear any flooding and repeat.

I prime 3 or 5 shots and crank the engine. No joy. I let it crank for a
reasonable time to clear any flooding and repeat.

I prime 3 or 5 shots and crank the engine. Backfire. I pause and wonder
"what the heck, it's never done that before." Then I notice a glow
from
under the engine cowling. And smoke. How weird, that's never happen before.
About two nanoseconds later I realize the engine is on FIRE!!!!!

I'd like to hear the opinions of others - but the first thing I'd have
done at this point is - keep cranking! While cranking, turn the fuel to
off (even if you have to stop for a bit). I'd probably open the
throttle wide too - while cranking - suck it all in.

If sucking it back into the carb didn't work - I'd carry on with your
procedure (bail out!

--
Duncan