Old January 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
Bob Fry

"VideoGuy" gkasten at brick dot net writes:

First, allow me to be forthright and admit that recently I utilized
crossposting when asking for help to identify a photo of an airport. I felt
that by posting to four aviation newsgroups at once I'd reach a larger
audience. I didn't see how this caused any harm.

If lots of people followed your lead (and lots do), then the purpose
of separate sub-newsgroups becomes meaningless. Why not just have a
single rec.aviation?

The reason is obvious, people don't want to read about items for sale
in the .piloting subgroup, and so on. So I don't like even "proper"
cross-posting (where the multiple newsgroups are listed on a single
Newsgroups line). For instance this thread doesn't make sense under
r.a.owning. What the hell does a crossposting discussion have to do
with owning an airplane?