Old November 17th 04, 05:28 PM
Steve Hill

My point in the whole discussion about self launching perhaps helping to
stimulate growth in our ranks is aimed at the notion that our sport is
dying. The obvious status quo has been aero-towing in the U.S. forever...If
self launchers continue to keep bringing transition pilots ie...power pilots
with an interest in soaring, then it's potentially a great thing for all
soaring pilots.

Several people have made comments on racing sailplanes...I'll just say that
I have never yet seen two sailplanes of any kind be able to get together
without some sort of race, formal or otherwise break out. Let's face it, we
are competitive people. If my DG is in a thermal with a Libelle, it's
obvious that the Libelle pilot is going to show me that he can outclimb
me...not really much I can do about that....but when we leave the thermal,
I'm going to introduce him to the rear view of an accelerating DG-400 and
how the flaps look in the reflexed position...but over the course of the
day, we'll have a ton of fun flying and teasing and learning. The point is,
that you never have to stop racing...sorta like some of the previous
comments that would lead you to believe that self launching is mutually
exclusive to hanging out at the glider club and aero-towing occasionally or
winch launching...or generally participating in the all aspects of
soaring...you can still do all those things.

I think it seems like most people are on the same page that whatever we can
do to promote our sport better, is good for all of us.

Steve.