Old April 29th 05, 06:40 PM
Larry Dighera

On 29 Apr 2005 09:57:14 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in .com::

After more than two years, and less than a month from scheduled launch,
NASA decides to pull the shuttle off the launch pad, transport it back
to the vehicle assembly building, and install a HEATER?

It sounds like NASA is being laudably prudent. But why these
modifications weren't performed before rolling the shuttle to the
launch pad is curious.

The article mentions:

NASA's new administrator, Michael Griffin, announced the delay at
a midmorning televised news conference, saying it was the result
of recent launch-debris reviews.
Another fueling test of Discovery's tank may be necessary, Readdy
said. The test a month ago uncovered the intermittent sensor
trouble and a few other problems.

Griffin said he accepted shuttle managers' recommendation to
postpone the flight, to perform the extra work.

"I want to launch as soon as we can," said Griffin, who took over
the top NASA job just two weeks ago. But he added that he wants
the launch to be safe.

So it looks like the new administrator is a prudent professional. How
can that be bad?

The real question is, who made the decision to move the shuttle to the
launch pad knowing that had "intermittent sensor trouble and a few
other problems"?

Griffin sounds like just what NASA needs, and I'll bet the crew would
agree.