Old July 16th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Donovan

Default FAA Accident Report discrepancy.

On Jul 15, 3:42*pm, Andy wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:14*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.

wrote:
I have just read the FAA final report for a glider accident with which I
am familiar. *

What does the NTSB final report say?

Andy

Is this still the case...NTSB investigators have widly varying
backgrounds, one of the nice'st NTSB folks I met had a degree in
physics and had never set foot in the front seat of any aircraft
ever...But most of the FAA folks I have met have at a minimum an: A &
P certificate and at a minimum: air crew time or at least a private
rating...is this the difference? I was at the Fitchburg airport,
being invited to take a look and when the FAA inspector arrived,
without so much as 5 min passed and he prononced "Pilot Error," it was
a horrific crash of a single engine light plane. How could he make
such a snap decision I wondered... Untill He explained..."four
adults...golf clubs...fulll tanks." you don't always have to get
eyewitness reports and measure distances and etc., because there
isn't a light single, (172, Cherokee class) that can leave the
ground...ever...that heavy!!! The NTSB people were all running around
trying to preserve the engine and being a real pain trying to justify
their own exsistance...At that moment I shared the seasoned FAA's
inspectors attitude of disgust with the beurocrats and then each
department had their own version of what happened. excuse my
spelling