Old May 23rd 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying in Europe

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 3:43:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Traveling to different sites with limited time it has been the most enjoyable when scheduling a dual x/c lesson. The instructor is more of a guide but you will pick up s few things. The time to be signed off for solo takes as many clock hours or more than going out on a 4 hour instructed flight where you will see more and fly more. Most instructors are pretty quick to discover the student ability and promptly stop instructing and start chatting as you fly around. Local knowledge is helpful and often you are able to fly a nice 2 place. Skipping s bunch of paperwork which might not come through in time is another t a son to go dual.

I have flown at DASSU in Unterwossen several times. The last time I was there in April of 2015 they would accept my USA license however my current Third Class medical was not accepted for solo flying in Germany and this denial was confirmed with a phone call to the German FAA equivalent. I did not ask them about a Second Class however there was a pilot flying solo with a First Class. They told me there was a Doc close to town that could issue a European medical however it would take a week or so to go through so I did not pursue that option. This has changed significantly since my first visit in 1999 for a winch sign off. Then they just asked me if I had a license but did not look at it and then after my required 10 winch flights with an instructor signed me off for solo flying and rental in any of gliders. Damage insurance was also available for purchase.

Chuck (99)