View Single Post
Old May 28th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 5:03:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi all,

I have a PW-5 that requires side pressure on the stick at all times to correct a tendency to bank to the right. More pronounced at higher speeds, of course. Wing tape helps a little but doesn't eliminate it. But there is a visible tiny difference in aileron position from one side to the other when the stick is neutral.

Planning to pull out the manual and figure out how to make length adjustments to the control rods, but is there any counterintuitive thing I should know before attempting to fine-tune?

Cheers,
Chris

this is counter intuitive. Check that the horizontal stab is properly aligned. I had the same problem in my Ventus. At high speeds it would need stick pressure to keep the thing flying level. Rex at Williams Soaring Center suggested the stab, checked it with a laser, and it was indeed out a little bit. He trued it up (somehow) and the problem went away.

I don't think ailerons out of alignment would cause this. The stick will just find a neutral position that is not perfectly centered, but it shouldn't cause bank. warped wings would though. Does it always drop the same wing when you stall it?

Matt