Old December 15th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom Frey

Default A-65 Oil screen thread pitch?

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Doe anybody know what the thread pitch for the oil screen is on a
Continental A-65? I have slightly boogered threads on the engine threads
and I want to run a set of dies through (I bought a tool with the dies
from McMaster Carr). It looks like 16 TPI is the closest. Does that sound
reasonable or does someone know for sure? I checked all the ones that
came with the tool by putting them over the threads on the oil screen and
let them drop in between the threads. Is that an acceptable way to test
for the right pitch or do I need to drop them into the (female) threads in
the rear accesory case, which would be damn near impossible to see if they
line up perfectly)? Any other ideas (trying to avoid pulling the engine
or rear case off)???

Scott
Corben Junior Ace with A-65

What kind of tool did you get with your dies. What you need is a simple
"thread pitch gage" to be sure. Inexpensive ones can be purchased from most
any place that sells measuring tools to machine shops.